Mosquitos pack on more than just an itchy bite, they carry deadly diseases as well. These tiny little insects can be the most harmful with just one bite. Mosquitos are members of a group of 3,600 species of small flies called Culicidae. The word mosquito comes from the Spanish and Portuguese word for little fly.
Adult mosquitos have a tube-like mouthpart that they use to pierce through the skin of their hosts and feed off the blood. The mosquitos search for blood for the protein and iron to continue to produce eggs. Mosquitos feed on the hosts of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and some fish.
When a mosquito bites the salvia is transferred and causes an itchy rash. The mosquito at times will ingest pathogens and transmit them to future hosts. In this way, Mosquitos are the transmitters of diseases such as Yellow Fever, Chikungunya, West Nile, Dengue Fever, and Zika. With the ability to transmit these diseases, mosquitos are more deadly than any other animal causing 700,000 deaths each year.
Diseases can be scary, especially when they come in a flying insect form. Let’s take a deeper dive into each one to learn a little more.
Mosquito Borne Viruses:
- Yellow Fever – Viral Disease / typically short duration Symptoms include: Fever, chills, loss of appetite, nausea, muscle pain, headaches (In about 15% of people liver damage causes yellowing of skin)
- Chikungunya- Infection / Symptoms begin 2-12 days after exposure and include: Fever, joint pain, swelling, muscle pain, rash. Symptoms improve in a week, joint pain can last months- years.
- West Nile– Single Strand RNA Virus/ Fever, Headache, Rash, Vomiting. Recovery can take weeks to months.
- Dengue Fever – Tropical Disease/ Symptoms are mild or not at all. Symptoms begin 3-14 days after infection and include: fever, headache, vomiting, muscle pain, joint pain, and characteristic rash. In small cases the diseases develop into a more serious rash and causes dengue shock syndrome.
- Zika – Virus/ Symptoms are mild or not at all. Symptom are fever, red eyes, joint pain, rash. Symptoms can last 7 days. For pregnant women, Zika can cause brain malformation in some babies.
What have we learned about mosquito borne illnesses? We do not know which mosquitos are carrying them and if we will get sick. What can we do know we need to do something to protect our family and pets. We can certainly use sprays, candles, and other repellent, but what about protecting your home? Mosquitos love to breed and grow their own families right there on your property. Mosquito Sheriff is ready to help you protect your family in the most eco-friendly way.
Mosquito Sheriff uses all natural, green, and family safe products that keep mosquitos away from your yard so you can enjoy it. You want to be able to watch your children play outside or host that family bar-b-q without the worry of being bitten. Mosquito Sheriff understands and is ready to help.
Contact Mosquito Sheriff today for a free estimate. We will get started on protecting your home so you can begin enjoying the warmer weather free of worry.