Though we often associate nuisance pests with warm weather, many rodents and insects stay active through the winter, where they desperately try to enter your home and escape the cold.
To help protect your home or business property from an off-season infestation, our Maryland pest exterminators have assembled 10 tips for winter pest exclusion. Read on to learn more, or call 1-888-248-2284 to start a free consultation in Owings, MD.
Pest-Proof Your Home This Winter: Top-10 Tips From Maryland Pest Exterminators
Think pest problems disappear over the winter months? Think again!
Believe it or not, winter is a busy time for Maryland pest exterminators, as mice, cockroaches, and spiders desperately try to enter your home and escape the cold.
What’s more, according to research conducted at the University of Maryland, milder winters in Maryland could induce three brand-new pest problems, including:
- The delayed emergence of the striped cucumber beetle, which will likely hit fields harder this year, causing an anticipated 5-12% increase in plant loss due to feeding, as well as a much higher risk of bacterial wilt infection.
- Early outbreaks of the potato leafhopper, which threaten hops, eggplant, and raspberry crops with feeding damages known as hopper burn.
- Twospotted spider mite infestations, which damage crops, giving them a mottled, bronzed, or bleached appearance and reduced yield before killing them outright.
Whether you’re trying to keep pests out of the home when the cold weather comes, or you’re bracing for the pest problems brought on by mild Maryland winters, the Mosquito Sheriff is here to help.
Start with these 10 winter pest exclusion tips, courtesy of the National Pest Management Association (NPMA):
- Seal cracks and holes around the house to prevent rodents from getting inside—a mouse can fit through a hole the size of a dime!
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around windows and the basement foundation
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from the home, as mice and ants often make their nests in wood piles
- Keep storage areas well-organized and try to store boxes off of the floor to discourage rodents nesting in clutter
- Eliminate standing water and moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains, as these tend to attract cockroaches.
- Install door sweeps and repair damage window screens
- Screen vents to chimneys
- Keep attics, basements, and crawl spaces dry and well-ventilated
- Do not leave potential food sources around—rodents love seeds, grains, and small fruits
- Consider apply barrier treatments at potential points of entry
Of course, if you’d rather leave the winter pest-proofing up to the pros, we’re here to help—just call 1-888-248-2284!
Go Pro: Book A Free Consultation With Maryland Pest Exterminators
If you’re looking for Maryland pest exterminators you can count on, look no further. Mosquito Sheriff is a leading provider of pest control solutions for residential, commercial, industrial, and agricultural properties throughout Maryland and all the surrounding areas, including the communities of:
- Pasadena, MD
- Shadyside, MD
- Upper Marlboro, MD
- Deale, MD, and beyond
To start a free consultation with Maryland pest exterminators, you can: